Character Creation Challenge Day 13: Giffyglyph's Class Compendium

 I found out about the #CharacterCreationChallenge while reading through a FalseMachine post and decided to join in since it sounded like fun! I originally thought I'd make a D&D 5e character but honestly that's a bit boring, so I decided to instead make a character using Giffyglyph's Class Compendium and Darker Dungeons (mentioned in my previous post), plus a few of my minor homebrew changes. I also intend to make characters using most of the other game's I linked: definitely Shadow of the Demon Lord, 13th Age, maybe one or two of the 4e hacks I listed, Trailblazers & Legend, and definitely LANCER. I'd also like to do a few OSR games like OSE and Beyond the Wall.

 So, getting started... I intend to randomly determine as many decisions as possible, which Darker Dungeon does as default; first then is Ancestry: d100 - and I got a 34, so Gnome it is and in my version of things there's only surface and underdark gnomes but I'll just being going with surface. 36 for Background – Guild Artisan – and 71 for class: The Rogue! Last of the mechanic bit, Ability Scores: 17, 14, 9, 9, 14, 9; nice and Darker Dungeon lets you reroll once, so let’s do CON: 14; and it also lets you swap two scores, so let us do that with STR and DEX. My version of things doesn’t have Ancestry modifiers; instead everyone gets one +2 and two +1’s, so the final version of things is this: STR- 14, DEX- 18, CON- 14, INT- 10, WIS- 16, and CHA- 9.

Gnome Features

 Darkvision (in my version it is “Low-light vision), Artificer’s Lore, Gnome Cunning, Natural Illusionist, and Tinker; physical characteristics: 3’ 10”, 41 lbs, 51 years old, and a strange tattoo

Guild Artisan Features

 Insight + Persuasion skills but in my version of things Backgrounds give you Advantage certain areas – so, let’s say it’s “Wisdom and Charisma Checks get Advantage to sell your services or determine someone’s true intentions” or something like that, (d20 for random Guild Business; a 5- Carpenters, roofers and plasters) so, Roofer tools proficiency, and one Language – let’s go with dwarf

Rogue Features

 Pretty standard start, 8 + CON modifier HP (so, 10), Light armour, in my version of things weapons are a bit more simple so he’s got Prof in various swords and crossbows, Thieves’ Tools Prof, I’ve also taken 3e’s saves and they use the highest of one of two between set stats – he’d have Prof in Reflex saves (FORT- +2, REF- +6, and WILL- +3), Prof in DEX and WIS Checks

 Expertise in DEX Checks and Thieves’ Tools; Sneak Attack and Thieves’ Cant which are mostly the same, except Thieves’ Cant gains a bit to make it more interesting (can share it with your friends); Focus- a new feature in Class Compendium, have 3 (2+level) currently and it’s used for Exploits which I have 2 of and they can be switched after a Long Rest

·        Stagger: hit with ranged attack that you have Advantage on, reduce creature’s speed by half until the end of its next turn

·        Blind: when a creature goes to attack you, use reaction to blind the creature and stop its attack – it makes a CON Saving Throw, on a fail it’s Blinded

 Finally, the Roguish Archetype which grants Roguish Exploits – four additional exploits to choose from. There is one listed archetype, the Thief; I think it works well enough for the character and it also gives advice on how to make new archetypes yourself. It also gives you Fast Hands- use a bonus action to use thieves’ tools to disarm a trap or open a lock, or take the Use an Object action

·        Slink: if an attack hits you when you’re not incapacitated, you can use your reaction to roll 1d6 and add it to your AC

Equipment

 Rapier, shortbow, burglar’s pack, leather armour, two daggers, and thieves’ tools; roofer’s tools, “business card”, traveller’s clothes, and pouch with 15 gp

 Finishing things off is the various Background traits, plus a few things from Darker Dungeon: snob/self-centred, greedy, created a great work for someone unworthy and now looking for someone who is, would probably kill someone to gain fame or a noble title; he was raised by his family/guild, before adventuring a close bond was forged or test, he became an adventurer because someone important tasked him apprehend someone, he has a habit of name dropping important people that he may or may not actually be connected to

 So, I imagine him (let’s call him Rizin) as a foppish character that started off as a legit carpenter and roofer but began to notice things, things in the houses, things in the streets. Eventually, he used this knowledge to burgle one of the houses he’d worked on and made contact with a fence he’d noticed. He’d continue doing so for some time until getting contracted by a quite wealthy nobleman to make some sort of wooden furniture; however, something about the noble ticked off Rizin and he decided to stop the project and burgle the noble’s place. He was caught in some fashion but set free thanks to his “bond”, who then tasked him with apprehending someone that was causing issues with for the guild.

 Alright, that certainly took longer than I remember. I think it’s a mix of writing it out here, not being used to Darker Dungeon/Class Compendium, and 5e just genuinely taking a bit... Oh, well. I think this turned out rather well, and I was thinking of maybe making him cousins to either one of my characters or one of my player’s... *shrug* I dunno

---

 Also, an addendum for my previous post, I got notified of "Into the Unknown" (thanks to "lovelyzoo" on Discord for pointing it out) and after reading the summary it seemed quite similar to 5TD, but after taking a look through I'd say it hews quite a bit closer to base 5e (but still being OSR). So, I'd say take a look at it if you're interested in a 5e-OSR game like Five Torches Deep.

Tomorrow I'll be making a random Shadow of the Demon Lord character, probably just using the core book and maybe even level him up a bit, to show off how the Expert and Master classes work - See you there!

Comments